As avid hunters and anglers, a large portion of the harvest is preparing our wild game and fish for the dinner table. We love wild game and fish, as it is a lean and wholesome way to nourish our bodies. It is my goal to help provide you with some new and creative recipes to spruce up your cookbook.
This gluten-free adobo mushroom elk burger is one of my favorites, and I am excited to share the secret ingredients in this simple recipe with you! Recipe based upon 2 pound of burger.
You Will Need:
- Your Favorite Burger Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cheese of your choice (optional)
- Elk burger (or any burger of your choice)
- 1 Egg per pound of buger
- 1 Minced garlic clove per pound of burger
- 1/4 Lemon per pound of burger
- 1/2 White onion
- 1 package of portabella mushrooms
- 2 Tomatoes or a box of cherry tomatoes
- Lettuce Wedges to use as a wrap
- 2 tbsp. Plain unsweetened greek yogurt
- 1-2 tsp. Adobo steak sauce
- 1 tbsp. beef stock or 1/2 cube beef stock cube
- 1/2 cup of water
Step 1: Preparing the Burger
1.Empty the meat into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add two eggs to the burger.
3. Mix in your favorite burger seasoning, salt, and pepper to your liking. We used a local seasoning called “Scanlon’s Famous Ninja Rub“.
4. Mince two cloves of garlic and add to the bowl.
5. Squeeze 1/2 fresh lemon into the meat mixture.
6. Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
5. Using your hands, knead the meat and ingredients together until all ingredients are evenly dispersed. Throw the burgers on the grill or on a skillet and cook to your desired “done” level. Add cheese at the end if you wish.
Step 2: Preparing the mushrooms and onions
1. Slice up your onions and mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
2. Add olive oil to a skillet and let it warm up.
3. Add the mushrooms and olives to the skillet and cook until soft.
4. In a saucepan, mix the beef stock, water, greek yogurt, adobo sauce, and a dash of salt and pepper. bring it to a simmer.
5. Pour the sauce over the mushrooms and onions and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Step 3: Preparing the garnish
1. Pull lettuce wedges apart and use as a bun.
2. Slice tomatoes if necessary.
3. Slice avocado.
Step 4: Put it all together
Put a lettuce wedge on bottom, throw your burger on top, add your mushrooms and onions on top (be sure to pour a little of the sauce on top), throw on avocado and tomatoes, and finally throw a lettuce wedge on top. YOU’RE DONE!
Let me know what you think when you try this out! Share it with your fellow hunters!
Until Next Time,
**all recipes are original